For those in the know my laptop crashed unexpectedly three weeks ago. Maybe I should rephrase that, does a crash ever happen expectedly? But I digress. I shut down the PC at work & at home nothing, no blue screens of death, zip. Windoze was dead! Fortunately being a PC geek it is a dual boot system and Linux saved the day with all my files 100% ok, except the corrupted windows boot files.
So the last three weeks I have been coping by working in Linux mostly on my old laptop. On Windows with my old bosses laptop (he recently left the CSIR) and trying to copy files in my spare time to Supercal, (the super fast mega machine I do the modeling runs on all the way from California).
Our It dept have learnt well from Microsoft, any PC problems the answer is RE-IMAGE, i.e. reload everything so hence the backup resumed high priority so that they can fix two files with a big hammer whilst I am gone. But I forgot to tell the copying NOT to follow symbolic links hence tons of duplicate files and disk full when I came to shut down everything today :-(
Anyway party already started yesterday. are compulsory for all bosses reading this, go to Andy & co for lessons NOW! Leanne went out for lunch and came back to find balloons, cake and speeches. Way to go!
Then after all that parting we went out to Boogie Dinner in Umlangha for a splash with Leanne's kids. Great place and well worth the visit for all the Durbanites. At 8 an Elvis impersonator sings for about an hour and after that the owner (ex lead singer of Ballywho) sings until his voice breaks or the staff beg him to let them go home. Old fashioned 70's theme roadhouse. Tables in the shape of guitars. Huge double burger so cheap you would think you are back in the 70's. Signed guitars from hundreds of singers adorn the walls. Really must see (on Fri & Sat nite) Book 2 week in advance, (preferably by fax cas their admin don't seem as good as the rest). Enjoy the pics of the diner below.
To friends in SA see you in three weeks time. Will try to follow the the drama of Dr Garlic & co if we get a moment.







No comments:
Post a Comment